Steve Sumsion possesses diverse business law experience spanning over 35 years, encompassing international, corporate, litigation, and transactional work. Following his graduation from BYU's law school in 1986, Steve served as a clerk for a federal judge in Washington, D.C. He then held positions at IBM's legal department across various locations on the East Coast. Additionally, Steve has resided and worked in Asia for numerous years, representing clients in China and Taiwan, and demonstrating fluency in Mandarin Chinese. Steve holds licenses to practice in New York, Pennsylvania, and Utah, and has gained admission to practice before the United States Supreme Court. Beyond his professional pursuits, Steve can be found skiing the slopes of the Wasatch Mountains and enjoying quality time with his wife, Mindy, their seven children, and nineteen grandchildren.
Steve's current focus is on applying lessons from litigation, arbitration and dispute resolution to avoiding the same through effective structuring and documenting of transactions (with a special interest in matters involving China).
- Lead counsel for numerous jury and bench trials in federal, state and appellate courts throughout the US.
- Outside counsel for over 20 financial transactions ranging from $10-150M.
- Negotiated and implemented $300M telecommunications agreement for Southeast US region.
- Project Counsel on $8 million Fannie Mae construction financing on 265-unit condominium project.
- Project and Litigation Counsel against $26M multi-family housing project resulting in 2-month jury trial and civil RICO claims with large settlement.
Bar Admissions/ Education
New York (NY); Pennsylvania (PA); Utah (UT); US Supreme Court Bachelor of Science, Arizona State University; Juris Doctor, Brigham Young University