Steve Sumsion is a diversified business lawyer with over 25 years of experience.
Steve Sumsion is the Managing Partner of Sumsion Business Law. Steve's diverse business law experience of almost 30 years includes international, corporate, litigation and transactional work. After graduating from BYU's law school in 1986, Steve clerked for a federal judge in Washington, D.C., then worked in IBM’s legal department at several east-coast positions. Steve has also lived and worked in Asia for years and represented clients in China and Taiwan. He is fluent in Mandarin Chinese.
Steve has experience representing clients from all walks of life and consistently receives high ratings from clients past and present. He focuses on providing cost-effective solutions and works tenaciously to achieve positive results. Steve’s success rate in both local and appellate courts exceeds 80%, but he is most passionate about alternative dispute resolution, mediation, and structuring transactions that minimize disputes.
Steve is licensed to practice in New York, Pennsylvania, and Utah, and is admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court.
When not in the office, Steve can be found skiing the slopes of the Wasatch Mountains and spending time with his wife, Mindy, and their seven children and eight grandchildren.
- Prevailed in last five jury/bench trials and last three appeals
- Corporate Counsel for over 20 financial transactions ranging from $10-150M
- Negotiated and implemented $300M telecommunications’ services agreement
- Project Counsel on $8 million construction financing on 265-unit condominium project, $2M equity financing with Fannie Mae, $5M buyout of 200-unit housing project, and $4.5M housing project in Salt Lake City
- Obtained $1.3M settlement after a two-month jury trial
- Defended $1.2M claim against guarantors to dismissal
- Successfully defended $1.1M in real estate claims
- Negotiated and drafted agreement for $26M multi-family housing project; prepared and presented over $2M in claims
- Listed in Utah's Legal Elite